Botched Abortions: Why You Can Sue Personal Injury AND Medical Malpractice

When a woman chooses to have an abortion, she expects that everything should go according to plan with this procedure. When it does not, she needs to know if she has legal alternatives. For example, can she sue if her vaginal canal and supporting structures are damaged during the procedure? Can she sue if not all of the embryonic/fetal tissue is removed and she becomes ill? What if the doctor performs the abortion on the assumption that there was only one embryo/fetus, and then the woman continues her pregnancy with an undiscovered second embryo/fetus? If you find that you are worse off after your botched abortion, here is what you can do next. 

Definitely Sue for Personal Injury

A procedure that should not have left you deformed, sick, hospitalized, or still pregnant means that you have been personally injured by someone's inability to perform a procedure correctly. In some cases, the injury or egregious error will follow you the rest of your life. You need to sue the person or persons that did this to you. It does not matter that you signed a contract agreeing to have an optional procedure performed; as a patient you have the right to expect this procedure to follow through a certain way and not leave you as you are now. 

Your personal injury lawyer can help. He/she can sue for compensation for all that you have lost, all your medical bills, and all that you will lose in the future. Additionally, if the abortion procedure left you pregnant because the medical professional did not do an ultrasound sweep to make sure all embryonic/fetal tissue was successfully removed, you can sue for compensation to raise a child, or sue for any damage done to the unborn child you carried to term when you did not expect to carry any pregnancy at all. 

Also Attempt to Sue for Medical Malpractice

Clearly, a medical procedure is supposed to rectify a situation you do not want to continue to address. The cause may be negligence, or it may be because someone made a mistake with the sterilization of instruments. Other physical deformities and damages to your genitals, vagina, and reproductive organs can fall under medical malpractice as well. It just depends on the specifics of your case, and whether or not your lawyer feels that he/she can prove what happened. Still, you should attempt to file both types of legal action. 

For more information, get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area.